Saturday, May 30, 2015

Redwork Quilt Blocks


Here is a little treat for Redwork lovers...

At the last Tillamook County Quilt Guild meeting Carol and LaRayne showed me some vintage, redwork blocks that they had purchased at a Portland quilt show. The blocks were sewn together with a big black string. They were very dirty and acid stained, probably from being stored for years in a cardboard box. 




The designs looked very familiar, so I took these quick photographs and checked in my studio library. A lucky guess led me right to the info that the block designer was Ruby McKim, for a quilt titled Colonial History, c.1935. The patterns were reprinted by Leman Publications in a soft 81/2" x 11" book titled The Colonial History Quilt by
Jean Dubois.

These are the kind of blocks that inspired my Lewis and Clark quilt.... see it tomorrow when I gather some photos.

All my best
Denise




No comments:

Post a Comment